As we talked about at one of the meetups - The Hippocrates Prize deadline is fast approaching - In general I am not a big fan of contests unless it is for a good cause you feel comfortable donating to... anyways please read through all of the rules and information first here
With a 1st prize for the winning poem in the Open and in the NHS category of £5,000, the Hippocrates prize is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single unpublished poem.
1. The Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine is an annual international award for anunpublished poem on a medical subject. Poems must be no more than 50 lines in length and not have previously been published in any form. They must be by a living poet, written in English and should not be translations of another writer’s work. There is no limit to the number of entries.
2. Poems should be entered online and must be accompanied by payment of £7 for each poem entered, by secure online payment.
3. The online submission site will ask you to select OPEN if your entry is in the international open category, or NHS if you are entering entered in the category for National Health Service related employees (current or former) or UK health students. The writer’s name should not appear in the text box for your poem(s). A poem entered in the NHS category may win a prize in the Open category, but a poem entered in the Open category may not win a prize in the NHS category. No poem may win more than one prize. Proof of NHS employee or health student status will be required from winners in the NHS category.
4. If you are unable to submit your poem online, you may send your submission to the address below. The cost of postal entry is £10 per poem. include with your cheque the name, contact details, and the title and first line for each poem. Your poem entry with its title should be on a separate page, with NHS or Open noted in the top right corner and without details that would identify you. Address for postal submission and payments by cheque:
The Hippocrates Prize
c/o Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine
12 Chandos Street, London W1G 9DR
5. Entries for the 2015 Hippocrates Prize will open 1st June, 2014. Entries for the 2015 Awards must be received by 12 midnight GMT, 1st February 2015.
6. The Hippocrates Prize judges will read a long-list prepared by filter judges, and their decision is final.
7. Short-listed poets in all categories of the Hippocrates Prize will be informed by mid-April 2014.
8. Results will be announced at the Hippocrates Awards during an International Symposium on Poetry and Medicine in London, in May 2015. Winning poems will be published on the Hippocrates Prize website, in an Anthology of winning poems, and may be published in the Postgraduate Medical Journal, which is published by the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine, a major supporter of the Hippocrates Awards. Prize-winners will receive their awards by the end of July 2015.
9. Copyright remains with the authors, but the Hippocrates Prize organizers reserve the right of publication, both online and in a prizewinners’ and other anthologies and publications of the Hippocrates Initiative.
10. Entrants may take out a year’s subscription to The Warwick Review, an international quarterly of new writing, at a preferential rate.